Sunday, February 15, 2015

Mid-February update

Ehh... I'm not entirely sure what I even want to write today. I'll write this in the same way that some people live-tweet movies or shows, and denote when I'm doing so by right-aligning.

Right now we just finished some singing as a family – Chris, Amanda, and Lindsay were all over, so we had a Family Home Evening of sorts after dinner. We also played "Panic on Wall Street!", a game that's kinda like a stock market simulation set during the early 1900's (though there really isn't much history associated with it – it's a strategy game for sure). For now I'm just sitting in the living room getting to work on this post.

It's been a good couple of weeks in February so far, as I've been scheduled at my jobs more and getting used to working 40+ hours a week. (That's between the two jobs I have, Deseret Book and PetSmart.) I think the only other times in my life when I've worked this much was when I was an EFY counselor (which was technically around-the-clock every day last summer) and as a missionary (for two years straight). I'm not sure I'd qualify either of those as the same kind of work, though; they're both focused more on helping individuals in a Gospel sense with teachings rather than working to sell or make a product for a customer.

Mom and Dad are in the living room now, and they've started up Downton Abbey. I'm not super interested in it myself. I can get into some British programming, like Sherlock or a few interpretations of Pride and Prejudice. But just from what I'm seeing now, it feels like a mild soap opera with Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from the Harry Potter movies) as one of the main characters. What is making it entertaining for me is that the subtitles they put on are messing up brilliantly, missing letters, combining words and making ones that just aren't there at all. I had a full-on laughing fit for a few minutes because of it.

I'm also trying to get used to making a weekly schedule. For EFY and the mission, one of the things that we relied on constantly (and this was because it made it loads easier) was having a normal schedule we could look at, refer to, answer questions with, and the like. As an example, here's my basic schedule for this week:
Obviously there's still a lot of blank space in there, and I'm still filling it out, but it'll be nice to use this as a base for making the rest of my plans. (And it syncs up with my phone, which is super nice – again, gotta love the age of technology we live in!) Red on here is work at Deseret Book, blue is work at PetSmart, and green is church-related stuff, which I can just set to repeat every week since I know that'll always be the same. Other things I'll put in are times to exercise, read/study scriptures, and, should the opportunity arise, go on dates.

Speaking of dates... Valentine's Day came and went for me, and was rather uneventful. I actually ended up working for the majority of the day at PetSmart up until closing, so I didn't really have much of a chance to go on a date anyway. And I'm okay with that. Dating, while it's always fun, isn't my main priority for now. If I'm able to just work a ton over the next few months, I should be able to move back into an apartment and get back on my own feet.

Moved back up to my room now. The subtitles are entertaining, for sure, but the novelty of it has already worn off. And I still have no idea what's going on in the show.

More about dating – I definitely still want to date, and there are certainly girls who I'm interested in, but that's just not my priority. As much as I wish it was, it has to be in balance with everything else. Otherwise I'm just going to keep digging myself into a hole that it'll be near impossible to get out of.

In my downtime I still usually just watch stuff on YouTube, but something that became insanely popular online last year made a return a few days ago, and it's caught my attention yet again.. There's a video game streaming site called Twitch, and on it people can watch others play games live and comment through text on the game, talk to the player, etc. Last year, someone managed to come up with a code that could read specific comments (ones typed as just inputs for the controller) and make those comments control the game. And this someone decided to use Pokémon Red for the Game Boy as his game of choice. Long story short, this guy managed to get over a million people controlling the same game at the same time online. It spawned a massive following, as the fan art shown here evidences. They managed to beat the game after over two weeks of playing it straight through – a feat that would normally only take a day or two at most, but when you have hundreds of commands a second being thrown at you... It gets a bit complicated. After beating Red Version, he moved on to other games and refined the streams a bit, so now the commands are all on a delay instead of happening instantaneously. For the one-year anniversary, he's playing a modified copy of Red Version that will allow him to catch all 151 Pokémon, and you can watch that here. (If my explanation didn't seem to make much sense, watching it happen will.)

I need to get back into exercising. These last couple weeks haven't been great... I've had a couple of really good days, and in part that's because I found a walking route that I can take that gets my 6 miles in for the day already. Tomorrow I'll get back on it; no work means I've got all day to exercise if I really wanted to.

I think that's about it for now. Funny pic for good measure:

No comments:

Post a Comment