Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

Saved this post for today instead of Sunday because, well... see the title.
Not too much to say in this week's post, but I did want to share this:
I feel like this pretty accurately portrays the toll taken in any given war. While the recent slew of Marvel movies have been amazing and quite enjoyable, this is a side they don't really cover all that much: the actual number of men and women who give their lives, and even those whose lives are innocently taken from them, in order for one side to claim victory. Captain America here, having now been through literal World Wars and fought on the front lines of battle, knows exactly what each fight means and how it affects everyone involved.

I'm not in the military. I never have been, and never plan to. But I do understand the sacrifice that many have made for this country, and I am grateful for it, so that I can enjoy the rights and freedoms I have. I do have a brother-in-law currently serving in the Navy, and I'm grateful for the service he provides as well. And while we're not in the best situation politically speaking, it's not nearly the size of a World War we're fighting, so I'm grateful for the time I live in where I can say that for the most part, I have enjoyed peace.

Credit goes to Dan Hipp for the image, and my friend Ryan Stevens for finding it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment