Thursday, February 13, 2014

Today was a good day.

So recently I started working at a local Subway to start earning some money while I'm not in school this semester.
Proof:
It's been almost a couple weeks since I started, and they thought I was doing well enough to manage the store for an hour by myself while other people were leaving and coming at different times. So I was there, working for an hour, place to myself, some customers coming in every once in a while, oldies radio station playing in the background. Not a big deal, especially since I'd already done it earlier this week. As it was kinda slow, I took some time to make sure the place looked clean, so I just started wiping down some tables. While I was doing so, some customers got up to leave, and one asked me if we had any comment cards. I don't think we do, so I told him that he could check online to see if there was a place to do so, or I could just make a note to pass on to my manager.
He and his wife (I'm assuming it was his wife) then proceeded to say that they thoroughly enjoyed coming today because, since they often go to Subway, they often notice the employees having a bad attitude, sometimes complaining or even almost arguing with each other. So, from their perspective, the attitude that I had in serving them while working made them have a good time while they were there.

That… really caught me off guard. And I'm not talking about this experience to try and brag by any means. I'm sharing it because it taught me an important lesson on one's attitude. I was in a semi-neutral mood, not bouncing-off-the-walls happy but definitely not depressed and moping around the whole time. Just content to be working, being productive with my time, and making sure that any customers who should come in would want to stay and come back for future visits – a practice that I think any company would want to do. These customers were vocal about how welcome they felt there this specific visit, and their comment put me into a great mood for the rest of my shift, and has continued until now. Probably gonna last for the rest of the night, too.

So thank you, random couple. I'm honestly happy to have served you today and would love to have you come back soon. Knowing that I helped contribute to a positive experience that you had in turn gave me a positive experience that I can look back on and remember for future occasions.
For future me, and anyone else reading this: keep up that good attitude. There are always people watching, even if you're not paying attention to them, and your behavior – whether it's directly to them or just around them – influences their experience in ways you might not even know about.


Random GIF of the day:




Some new movies on the list: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I only saw once in theaters but enjoyed a ton – especially with the cast it has. Casablanca, a classic that I'd been meaning to get for a while, and found it on sale for $5. Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I got because 1) prior to this I didn't own any movies with Audrey Hepburn and 2) the song by Deep Blue Something kinda makes more sense to me now… kinda. And Mr. and Mrs. Smith… but not the Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie version. This is one that was directed by Hitchcock (yes, the Hitchcock) back in the 1940's, and it's a comedy. Again, partially because it was on sale, and because it piqued my curiosity enough, I picked it up.

UPDATE!! I also got a letter from a missionary friend today. Just another reason today was pretty dang good!

No comments:

Post a Comment