Sunday, June 23, 2013

Shooting the breeze

What to write, what to write... I'm trying to figure out if I should figure out regular days to post on here or if I should just keep it to whenever I get around to it. I'm leaning more towards a regular schedule, especially since past experience has taught me that if I don't make an effort to turn an activity into a habit, it rarely, if ever, ends up happening at all. Like exercise...

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I've got two big ideas for YouTube shows to make on a regular basis. Short movie-making is a hobby of mine, and with either one I feel like I'd have a good amount of success.

Idea #1: A popular kind of channel on the Tube these days is music, specifically covers of other people's songs in different styles or genres. As I mentioned in my last post, covers get to be extremely popular, even if the changes aren't all that different or the final product ends up just being a combination of a few different songs with nothing changed at all. So what I'd like to do is similar, but instead of singing songs in my own style I would play saxophone for the melodies and arrange a track to play along to. I've been playing alto sax for years outside of a band setting anyway; normally what I do is just hook up some speakers to my laptop, put my music library on shuffle, and just start playing along. The only real issue I'd have with it before starting is trying to figure out recording equipment... I've never seriously tried to record myself playing something, so I don't know what kind(s) of microphones or cameras would be best for that kind of video. Yet.
My baby. Had it since Christmas of 2004, loved it ever since.
Idea #2, and the one I'm leaning more towards for the moment: a DVD review show, specifically reviewing movies that are found for cheap. We have thrift shops and $5 bins and people almost giving them away on Craigslist, considering how cheap they sell some of them for, and a lot of these movies are still in great quality. So my idea for this is to review the DVD as a whole, not just the movie - because, honestly, I prefer owning the movie over using some service like Netflix. Don't get me wrong, I know that Netflix, Hulu+, and other subscription services are great, but not everything I want to watch is on there. That, and the fact that you don't really get special features when using an online streaming service. So I'd review the DVD, plus any features on them, and give an overall recommendation of whether or not it would ever be worth getting. As my dad put it, kind of a Roger Ebert review, just talking about the movie and showing clips from it. I know who Ebert was, but I can't say I've seen much of his work, so I might look into some of that before starting on a project like this.
I have a decent amount of movies at my disposal... just saying.
Both music channels (be them for simply reposting songs by other artists, reposting them and including lyrics, or making covers of songs) and review channels (for movies, bands, video games, etc.) have found success on the internet. Obviously not everyone, though. Some continuously post, hoping one day to get "discovered" and become rich and famous. The problem with a lot of them is that they aren't super original, or if they are, then they just haven't marketed their product the right way yet. Take this show, for a good example: he produces it all very well, he's expanded to a crew of multiple people, and his idea of reviewing games is unique compared to most. (He plays video games and 100% completes them, no matter how long or short they may be.) It's not the most popular show on YouTube, but it's certainly brought him a decent amount of success so far, and it doesn't look like he has any intent to stop. Which, when you're doing something you love, would be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment